Wednesday, July 13, 2005

First Campaign Promise

I think I should start off by saying that I believe that our current federal government - and I mean all branches - have strayed from the original intent of the U.S. Constitution, and that it will take more than just one person to bring it back under control. But it only takes one person to start the ball rolling. I would like to be that person, and as President I aim to do just that. I submit to you the following promise, well actually four promises:

1. I promise that as President, I will put any piece of legislation that crosses my desk up against the articles and amendments of the U.S. Constitution to determine if we, as the Federal Goverment have the power to even address the issue at hand, let alone pass a law on the issue. The U.S. Constitution specifically lays out those powers that each Branch has to govern, and anything that isn't specifically called for in the Constitution shouldn't have a law to govern it.

2. I promise that as President, I will ensure that any action taken by the Executive Branch does not cross or violate any of the Bill of Rights. The rights of the individual citizens, as well as the rights of the individual states, were thought of as being paramount by our founding fathers, that they should be protected by any means possible. Too often, the Bill of Rights is seen as areas that the Federal Government should actively govern, but our founding fathers evisioned that the Bill of Rights should be an area over which the Federal Government should stay away from, period.

3. I promise that as President, I will evaluate all departments and agencies of the Executive Branch to make sure that they uphold the articles and amendments of the U.S. Constitution. Any department or agency that doesn't support these goals will be reformed, replaced or eliminated.

4. I promise that as President, I will work hard to limit the influence of the United States Government to only the United States of America and its direct territories. I understand that being one of the most powerful nations in the world makes it easy for us to exert our power over other sovereign nations. We can use our power constructively, working with other nations through our trade agreements and treatise. I feel that our military forces should only be used to defend the property and citizens of the United States, and that it should only be used offensively if our nation, its property or its citizens are in eminent danger of being attacked.

Well, this is a good start. I invite comments, questions and discussions on these items, as it is the only way you to get to know me, and more importantly, for me to understand the will of the people I would like to serve.

Thank you,

Earl Kinsley
Candidate for President

No comments: